Appam comes from the southern Indian peninsula. it’s a rice pancake made from rice and coconut. it’s a popular breakfast dish generally served à la minute with a vegetable stew. it’s called appam hoppers and appa in different parts of the country.
- Rice 200 grams
- Coconut milk 100 grams
- Water 100 grams
- Sugar 5 grams
- Salt to taste
- Oil to cook
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
- Soak the rice in water for 2 hours
- Drain the water and spread the rice on a kitchen cloth to dry for 2 hours till the rice is completely dry.
- Add the rice and water in a mixer grinder and grind it till it has a smooth consistency.
- Add the coconut milk to the batter and blend it again.
- Pour the batter in a large bowl and add the salt, yeast and sugar in it. Give it a whisk and let the batter rest for 2 hours.
- Heat an appam pan on high heat and add a little oil.
- Spread the oil using a tissue or a kitchen towel.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the pan and tilt and turn in circles to spread the batter. Turn the heat to low.
- Cover the pan and let it cook till the base turns light golden.
- Serve the appams a la minute with coconut chutney and a stew.