(अरबी और दही का झोल)
Lockdown ARBI – Colocasia! I grew up eating this delicious dish every summer ☀️It’s creamy and zingy and I cannot imagine anyone not loving it!
This recipe hails from Shekhawat, in Rajasthan – where my maternal roots lie. The key ingredient in every Arbi dish is Carom Seeds (Ajwain). Not only is it a marriage made in heaven, the reason for this combination is the incorporation of Ayurveda. Colocasia is not the easiest to digest root vegetable, and can create flatulence and discomfort. The ajwain combats exactly that and renders its intense robust aroma and flavor to cool the stomach.
The yogurt also plays the role of cooling the stomach lining while the asofetida (hing), ginger and turmeric (curcuma) further accelerate flavor and health ♥️ I’m thrilled to share one of my all time favourite recipes in the world and I assure you it’s super easy if you follow the instructions well. I hope you will repeat it and remember me ☺️! Sending lots of cool loving vibes for all of you from Goa 🌴.
Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏼for a relief from the Covid Lockdown for all of us soon.
Untill then, please find me by your side, cooking and creating exciting recipes for you and your family.
I would also like to thank you all for the enthusiastic recipes and ideas for an Arbi dish. I have saved them and will try them soon! 🙏🏼👩🏻🍳♥️
Ingredients (Serves 2)–
500gm colocasia (अरबी) washed well
1 cup whisked & strained yogurt
1 tsp carom seeds (अजवाइन)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp asofetida (हींग)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 green chili chopped
Juice of half lemon
Salt to taste
1. Put the Colocasia in a pressure cooker with 5 cups of water and 1 tbsp salt and cook for 15 mins
2. Let it cool. Strain the water and keep it aside for later
3. Peel the colocasia and cut horizontally into 1cm disks
4. In a deep pan/कढ़ाई add 1 tbsp ghee
5. Add carom seeds, asofetida, turmeric powder, red chili powder
6. Add the yogurt and then the remaining water from the boiled colocasia
7. Add the colocasia, ginger, green chili, coriander powder, garam masala, salt to taste and cover
8. Let it cook on slow flame for 15-20 mins
9. Uncover and stir. The curry should be soupy. Add the lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves